We are excited to announce a fun refreshing retreat amidst the mountains of Nainital! It is a fantastic opportunity for families and friends to celebrate, learn together and experience life within the cosmos of Naina Devi Himalayan Bird Conservation Reserve.
The retreat has been planned for the upcoming long weekend in August. It starts at 10am, 12th Aug. 2022 and ends at 12 noon, 15th Aug. 2022. Arrival on 11th Aug. between 3pm-5pm can also be planned and it will be complementary. No extra charges for the additional night of stay – that’s our gift.
There are special curated events for both adults and children, to learn about the forest, wildlife and the communities around us. The workshops and nature walks will be facilitated by our team of artists, architects and naturalists, where we all will co-create meaningful experiences.
On this Independence Day, let’s explore our creative abilities and the ways to free ourselves from consumerism and ready-made world. Also to take better care of not only ourselves but all other living beings on this Rakshabandhan.
You will be staying in gorgeous natural structures built by age old techniques and made with locally sourced materials, primarily mud.
Music, dance, poetry, movie screenings are all there for additional fun.
If you are interested in sustainable living, creating a healthy environment and a better world for our next generations, join us with your family and friends.
Special occasions during this retreat: Rakshabandhan, Full Moon (Sturgeon Moon – symbolizes gratitude for the bounties of nature), Independence Day (75th year – Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav).
This retreat has been carefully designed to give a fully immersive experience of living in the mountains. Each of the activities are designed to be enriching for both kids and adults. You can choose to attend all or few and so can each person from your group.
Here is a list of some special activities:
1. ‘Beej beej se bani Rakhi’ – (Adults and Children) Making your own Rakhi with seeds and other natural materials.
2. ‘Forest Food Foraging’ – (Adults) Learning to identify edible plants in the forest and grow them in your backyard.
3. ‘Healing with Herbs’ – (Adults) Learning to identify medicinal plants and make first-aid medicines. (Antiseptic cream, herbal teas and some simple recipes for self-care)
4. ‘Cut Cost Cosmetics’ – (Adults) Learning to use natural cleaners and cosmetics, which are found in nature. (Bhimal shampoo, Timur toothbrush, Kumur face pack etc. If possible, we can make a multani-based soap along with Aloe vera, turmeric, sesame oil, camphor, Ajwain satva…)
5. ‘Plant a Seed, Remove a Weed’ – (Adults and Children) Learning what to plant and what to remove, in order to free yourself from unnecessary and harmful things.
6. ‘Chirping Chiraiya’ – (Adults) Listening to the music of birds as your daily meditation followed by bird watching.
7. ‘Be a Bee or a Butterfly’ – (Children) Learn what attracts the bees and butterflies to your garden. What do we want to pollinate (spread) on this occasion of Independence Day? (August is the month when maximum number of butterflies can be seen.)
8. ‘Ek Shama Kitne Parwaane!’ – (Children) Watch the moths gathered around the light and find out what source of light you are attracted to in your life. Set your goal/vision towards the light and share.
9. Flag Hoisting – (Adults and Children) Write down your dreams on leaves and pin them to your shirt while hoisting the flag.
10. Dinner Movie Night – (Adults and Children) Sit back, relax and enjoy the movie.
11. Music and Dance Night – (Adults and Children) Need we say more?
12. Open Learning Space – (Adults and Children) Let’s explore what we can learn from each other.
13. Specialized Geeli Mitti tour – (Adults) Get a glimpse and feel of the beauty and strength of mud homes by Geeli Mitti.
14. Session on Retrofitting – (Adults) Learn how to make your existing home and environment healthier and more energy efficient.
15. Wood whittling — (Adults) Learn how to change Scraps of wood into pieces of Art
16. And other surprises…
Our main core facilitator, Ramawtar Singh, is a self-taught naturalist and artist, who has spent several years in different forests (including Jim Corbett National Park) and been practicing/teaching various eco-friendly crafts. His love for nature inspired him to design creative activities for children and adults, where they can learn valuable lessons through hands-on experiences.
And you will also meet and learn from other core Team Members – Shagun, Muskaan, Anubha…
Comfortable large bamboo and mud loft aka Adda, with dorm style sleeping on 5 different levels. Mattresses, Pillows, Sheets and Blankets available.
Flush common toilets with plumbing, Indian and Western style. Shower with hot water facility.
Cottages: (sold out)
Three exclusive Geeli Mitti luxury mud cottages with private bathrooms are available at additional charge, on first come basis.
Meals are vegetarian and local cuisine cooked with love.
Fruits and eggs available on prior order, on extra charge.
Total Charges for 3 days Retreat (4th day complimentary)
Mud and Bamboo Dormitory (per person) = Rs.13,500
Cottage (for a couple) = Rs.36,200 (this is closed now)
There is a Registration fee of Rs.10,000 + GST payable immediately, to book your seat.
The balance will be payabe through bank transfer/UPI. Details will be shared post registration.
You will receive a confirmation along with a welcome letter with dos and don’ts, post registration.
- There are no charges for children aged 4 and below.
- Discounted daily food charge of Rs.800/day (Rs.1,200 normally) for kids aged 5 to 15 years.
Registration will be non-refundable. If you cannot make it due to an exigency, you can however send someone in your place.
All funds, post direct costs, go to support our community initiatives. We do not ask for donations and believe sustainability of any initiative also means financial sustainability.
Add this location to your Google maps and you’re good to go!
For more information on the modes of transport available to reach us, check out our Get In Touch page where we have a detailed guide.
We will help with the coordination with other participants for car pooling and taxi bookings from Delhi. This will be done few days prior to retreat.
Participants outside Delhi NCR are advised to fly in to Delhi itself if you want to come with other participants. Please plan to arrive at Delhi latest by 9am on 11th Aug.’22 if you need a taxi. That way you should be able to reach Geeli Mitti by early evening same day, on 11th Aug.
Those coming directly, can plan for arrival to the Geeli Mitti centre by 5.00pm on 11th Aug.’22 or else before 9 am on 12th Aug.’22.
Please note that we have 4 super friendly dogs on site so incase you don't like dogs or are super scared, this might not be the right place.
We will also help with the logistics, coordination, car pooling and taxi bookings post registration. So do not worry about that. It is helpful though to book early, for planning.
Check out the Geeli Mitti COE (Centre of Excellence) at :
Please read about the experience of other participants here
Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your seat or for specific queries.
Calling/WhatsApp : +91 9540937144. Please call only between 10am to 5pm.
You can pay and register online by filling your details below and checking out.
Due to the volume of calls and mails and it not being our favourite thing to do, responses can get missed. Please don't take it personally and just try and connect again. You will understand why it is so difficult once you are here!
"Changing the world, one magical home at a time". - Geeli Mitti.